If you aren't incorporating coconut oil into your daily routine, you're missing out. No, seriously.
This super fruit is packed with "good" cholesterol and has endless benefits. Here are my top five ways to incorporate coconut oil into your daily routine:
1. Moisturize. At first I was skeptical to put coconut oil on my face, but after a week or so I noticed a huge difference in hydration and tone. Now it's a mainstay in my beauty regimen. Coconut oil is known to be antimicrobial, anti-fungal and antibacterial. Lather it on before bedtime for an extra boost in moisture or use as remove makeup. A word to the wise: coconut oil may cause you to initially break out when first being used as your skin naturally purges bad bacteria. Be sure to use coconut oil that is unrefined as the refining processes take away many of its antibacterial benefits.
2. Cooking and baking. Coconut oil is a great substitute for butter, shortening and vegetable oil. It adds richness like buttah (check out the world's easiest roasted sweet potato recipe here).
3. Hello number two. Add MCT oil to your morning coffee or smoothie to help drop anchor. Why MCT oil? It's easier to digest and is tasteless and odourless. BUT! Don't overdo it, otherwise you'll be in for one intense colon cleanse.
4. Oil pulling. Okay, I haven't personally tried oil pulling but my friend Evan swears by it. It involves swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for twenty minutes and then spitting it out. Supposed benefits include; "pulling" toxins from your mouth, whiter and stronger teeth, reduced halitosis, reduced severeness of headaches (and hangovers!) and decreased jaw pain. If you try it, I'll try it.
5. Massage and personal lubricant. Get the engines revving with coconut oil. Massage coconut oil on your partner (and yourself) and be transported to Bali with its heavenly scent. It's safe to use on your downstairs as its anti fungal properties help natural vaginal flora (aka the good bacteria that keeps yeast infections at bay). FYI - do not use coconut oil with latex condoms or if you're trying to get pregnant (can break down latex and alter pH levels).
Here are my top five favourite coconut oil products:
1. Trader Joe's Organic Coconut Oil Packets - I swear by this coconut oil for all my beauty needs. It's like a mini trip to Hawaii. The individual packets are ideal for storing in the bathroom and make application a breeze. They use organic, virgin, cold-pressed and unrefined coconut oil. Each box contains 14 - 15ml packets.
2. FATSO peanut butter - holy flavour batman! This hybrid peanut butter is chock full of peanuts (duh), coconut oil, avocado oil, MCT oil and macadamia oil.
3. Herbivore Sea Mist Coconut + Sea Salt Beach Wave Hair Mist - This mist gives you that "been at the beach all day" glow without sand in your swimsuit. Spray on wet or dry hair to add instant volume and moisture.
4. Onnit MCT oil - Onnit's MCT oil is harvested from 100% coconut oil (some MCT oils contain palm oil) and quite frankly, it was in my cupboard.
5. Saje Coconut Kiss exfoliating body scrub - This is by far my all time fav product by Vancouver-based Saje. The coffee exfoliates like a mofo while the coconut and jojoba oil soothe dull skin. It's a must all year round (but especially in Winter when my legs need a pick me up).
5. Herbivore Coconut Milk Bath Soak - The brand so nice, she listed it twice. And yes, it's the coconut scent and packaging that initially drew me to it #sosueme. For real though, this is an outstanding product and has been my go-to for when I need a gift in a pinch.
To find out what type of coconut oil is best for you, check out this article.